As the ageing process sets in, collagen production winds down, facial fat decreases and muscle tone slackens. The features sag and droop, changing the contours of the face. The forces of gravity are evident.
Reversing the effects of gravity requires that the sagging tissues be physically lifted and re-anchored for a more taut look. Traditionally a surgical facelift procedure with anesthesia, deep incisions and several stitches has been the only option. Effective as this is, it requires a lot of downtime, can be painful and is expensive. Today, Thread Lifts offer an attractive and practical non-surgical alternative that delivers on many of the same goals.
Non-surgical facelift procedures are performed by elevating skin with absorbable sutures or threads. These sutures, inserted subcutaneously, are introduced into the target areas with a micro-needle through tiny incisions. They are then pulled gently upwards, to elevate and lift the skin to turn back time – instantly.
There are several types of threads such as SilhouetteSoft Threads and PDO Threads at hand, in addition to the smooth or suspension threads. The Kaya dermatologist will make a recommendation based on an assessment of your goals and requirements.
PDO barbed threads have microscopic teeth-like cogs or barbs, along the length. Unlike supension threads which are smooth and need to be anchored to a stable structure in the face to hold the lift, barbed threads are self-supporting. They are ideal for strengthening tissues which have already been relocated to the perfect position. Built for heavy-duty work, they are perfect for lifting the middle and lower thirds of the face. At Kaya we use LFL monothreads ; Barb 4 Directional and Anchor Barb threads which top dermatologists rely on, the world over. Barb threads have mono directional cogs which hold the skin like hooks when the thread is pulled. Anchor Barb threads have bi-directional cogs which work as double hooks & 4 directional threads have multi-directional cogs. They are a valuable tool for face shape correction as well as for lifting the submental area and neck.
How Barb Threads work
The Kaya dermatologist starts by marking points along the contours of the area to be lifted. Tiny incision points around 1-2 millimetres in size are made at these points and the barbed thread is inserted with a hollow needle. The position of the needle is adjusted to provide the lift required and then removed, leaving the thread behind. The lift is suspended with the thread as the barbs attach themselves to the skin tissue, gently lift the skin and lock in place to maintain the lift securely.
A full face threadlift calls for up to 18 barbed threads, though not everyone goes for this complete lift. A brow lift, requiring 2 threads per brow; a jowl lift, 2 for each side of the jaw line; a neck lift, requiring 2 for each side of the neck.
What you can look forward to
The Barbed Thread facelift reverses sagging and wrinkles, re-tightens the skin making it taut and adds softening volume under the skin. Collagen production is rejuvenated. Even after the sutures are absorbed by the body, the skin will continue the process of regeneration and lifting. The cheeks appear fuller and firmer, the lines from the nose to the mouth lines fade away, the eyes look larger and the neck looks smoother. Your youthful visage makes a reappearance.The effects last for around 18 months to a year.
The procedure is not invasive and there is no downtime. However, there could be mild bruising or swelling. Our experts recommend 3-4 days of avoiding strenuous activity so as to achieve optimal results.
- No special preparation is required prior to a Thread Lift treatment.However, we recommend that you inform the dermatologist of any treatment you have already received and of any medicines you are currently taking.
- Do avoid the procedure if you have an allergy or foreign-body sensitivities to plastic/biomaterial or permanent fillers.
- Treatment is also contraindicated in case of acute and chronic skin diseases, autoimmune diseases, sepsis or infection.
- Do NOT get a Threads treatment, if you are under 18 years of age or/and pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Apply cold packs immediately after the procedure if required (Cold packs should be wrapped to avoid direct contact with skin and insertion point).
- Take analgesia e.g. paracetamol in case of pain (2-3 days).
- Refrain from applying make-up for as long as possible (minimum 24 hours).
- Sleep face up, in an elevated position on pillows (3-5 nights).
- Wash, shave and dry face gently without rubbing or massaging (5 days).
- Avoid excessive face and neck movements (2 weeks).
- Avoid over-exposure to direct sunlight and do not use tanning beds (2 weeks).
- Avoid sports, in particular high impact sports e.g. running (2 weeks).
- Do not use saunas or hammams (3 weeks).
- Avoid dental surgery (3 weeks).
- Avoid face and neck massages and face and neck aesthetic treatments (4 weeks).