Looking for a solution for your receding hairline? Want to restore bald spots and thinning hair naturally? Then Hair Transplant is just what you need.
Hair loss affects a significant portion of the global population, with men having a higher ratio. According to statistics, about 50% of all men over the age of 50 are affected by male pattern baldness. Baldness and excessive hair loss may be common, but it still can affect your overall appearance and confidence levels. However, thanks to the advances in medical technology regrowing hair is now possible. With the help of different hair transplant procedures, you can regrow your hair and restore your confidence. Hair Transplant solutions are also used for enhancing the volume of eyebrows, eyelashes and also to cover patches on the beard area.
What causes hair loss?
You can lose 50 to 100 hair a day on average. This is normal and unnoticeable as new hair keeps growing. However, when new hair stops replacing the hair that falls out, hair loss occurs. This can be attributed to one of the following factors:
- Hereditary – Hair loss due to hereditary factors is the most common cause which generally progresses with age. This medical condition is termed as androgenic alopecia. It appears as visual patterns – bald spots and receding hairline in men or thinning hair along the crown of the scalp in women.
- Hormonal changes – Thyroid problems and conditions like pregnancy, childbirth, menopause can cause temporary or permanent hair loss. Autoimmune diseases such as alopecia areata, hair pulling disorder or trichotillomania and scalp infections from ringworm also lead to hair loss.
- Medications and supplements – Drugs prescribed to treat conditions like depression, cancer, heart problems, gout, arthritis and high blood pressure can have side effects which cause hair loss.
- Radiation therapy to the head – Radiation therapy can also lead to temporary or permanent hair loss.
- Extremely stressful events – Physically and emotionally traumatic events can cause thinning of the hairline and lead to temporary hair loss.
- Hairstyles and treatments – Too many hair treatment procedures and excessive hair styling can cause a type of hair loss called traction alopecia. Sometimes these procedures can leave scars that cause permanent hair loss.
Indications for Hair Transplant
Hair transplant surgery is one of the most trending cosmetic surgeries due to its completely natural results. It is important to visit a good hair transplant clinic to know the cause of hair loss and the treatment options best suitable for your condition.
You can choose a Hair Transplant procedure for the following aesthetic and medical indications:
- Male pattern baldness (MPB) and female pattern hair loss (FPHL)
- Female androgenetic alopecia (FAGA)
- Scarring alopecia
- Traction alopecia
- Long-standing cases of Alopecia Areata
- Moustache reshaping
- Beard reshaping
- Scar reconstruction – Burns/Injury scars
- Hairline corrections
- Hairline lowering
- Hair Thinning
- Eyebrow and eyelash transplant
- Revision hair transplant
Are you the right candidate for a Hair Transplant?
Both men and women can be good candidates for a hair transplant. You need to fulfil two basic criteria to be considered for a hair transplant:
- Sufficient amount of healthy hair on the ‘donor site’ of your scalp from which hair will be harvested for transplant to the ‘recipient site’
- The ability to grow hair on the thinning area of your scalp
In case, if the donor site is not sufficient, the surgeon may also suggest Body Hair transplant to harvest the required number of grafts to deliver the best results.
During your consultation, you can find out if you match the expected criteria. To find out the cause of your hair loss, the surgeon will conduct a thorough scalp exam and blood tests. Based on the examination and assessment, the surgeon will suggest the number of grafts you need for best results, the technique, pre and post care guidelines and overall surgery plan.
What are the different types of Hair Transplant?
The following 3 types of hair transplant techniques are commonly used:
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant – This technique uses hair grafts that are harvested through small circular incisions made over the donor site. The procedure involves a pneumatic punch tool. The tool has a diameter of less than 1 mm which extracts every graft individually. The extracted grafts are then transplanted right away by making small incisions in the targeted area which subsequently creates a highly natural looking hairline.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) Hair Transplant – This procedure is also called strip method hair transplantation. The process involves extracting hair from the sides or back of the scalp. The hair is further dissected to obtain grafts that are then harvested at the targeted areas.
- Robotic Hair Transplant – A most advanced technique which uses the help of a Robot to provide long lasting results. Robots help in identifying and selecting the best hair for harvesting and also provide graft dissection with precision and consistence. The precision level of this technique is extremely high and the whole process is conducted under the supervision of a skilled surgeon. It takes away the need for stitches and leaves no scarring which makes the results more aesthetic and natural.
What should you expect during a Hair Transplant procedure?
Your surgeon will thoroughly clean your scalp, and will use a small needle to numb an area of your head with local anaesthesia. The hair transplant process can take 6-10 hours or more. In case you undergo the FUT surgery, you will require stitches.
Here are some of the important steps that you must take before the surgery:
- Discuss all medication and vitamins that you regularly use with your surgeon to conclude if you should stop taking them before surgery, and if needed, for how long. For instance, medications like Vitamin E that interfere with your body’s blood clotting ability should be stopped before surgery.
- Smoking should be avoided before and after the surgery for better and faster recovery
- A healthy, balanced diet must be followed to ensure that you are in the best possible health
Kaya Aesthetic surgeons will guide you about what you need to do so that you are completely at ease and ready for surgery and beyond.
The results of the hair transplant procedure are permanent. You will be able to notice initial results within 3 months of the procedure being performed. The hair will continue to grow for 8-12 months after which you will witness full permanent results. Remember that the hair transplant does not stop any new or progressive hair loss and further grafts may be required at a later time to maintain the best results.
It is also advisable to maintain and enhance the results with PRP, or Meso hair treatments, as per the suggestions of your surgeon.