Rhinoplasty, also popularly known as nose job, allows you to easily fix your nose to match your overall desired look.
Nose types vary by shape, size, and position. Being in the centre of the face, it grabs a lot of attention. If you are someone who is not happy with the size or shape of the nose and wish to alter it, look no further. Rhinoplasty is the best solution for you.This procedure is extensively used for aesthetic and medical reasons. In 2019, rhinoplasty was ranked fifth amongst the most popular plastic surgery procedures in the world. UAE is fast emerging as a hub for cosmetic surgery, and rhinoplasty is one of the most commonly performed procedures. With Kaya, you will be in the hands of some of the most experienced and highly skilled rhinoplasty surgeons in the region.
Indications for Rhinoplasty
You can opt for a rhinoplasty procedure to:
- Improve the overall appearance and proportions of facial features
- Correct breakages
- Smooth away bumps and lumps along the nose bridge
- Restructure nose tips
- Create a nose bridge
- Reshape the Alar(nostril size and shape)
- Cure breathing difficulties caused by the structure of the nose (also known as Septoplasty)
- Boost confidence and self-esteem
Are you the right candidate for Rhinoplasty?
You need to be at least 15 years old before you can consider rhinoplasty (nose job), in order to ensure that the cartilage and bone of the nose have stopped growing. You also need to have good overall health.
What are the different types of Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty procedures differ depending upon your needs and goals. After the decision to undergo the surgery, the second step involves consulting your surgeon who will help in assessing which type of rhinoplasty procedure is best for you. There are 3 types of rhinoplasty procedures:
- Open Rhinoplasty – This is the most common procedure which primarily involves extensive nose reshaping. Vertical incisions are made on the skin of your nose in order to separate the nostrils. This exposes the skin and soft tissue on the inside which is then lifted to form the new shape.
- Closed Rhinoplasty – This procedure is used for minor nose reshaping by making incisions within the nose where the skin is separated from the bone and cartilage. The exposed bone and cartilage is then reshaped, removed, rearranged, or augmented to achieve the new desired shape.
- Revision Rhinoplasty (alternatively called Secondary Rhinoplasty) is done to rectify problems that persist even after an earlier nose surgery. Secondary rhinoplasty can also be done as an open or closed procedure.
What to expect during Rhinoplasty?
Depending on individual circumstances, the surgeon may prescribe general or local anaesthesia. In either case, you will not feel any pain during the surgery. The procedure to reshape your nose can take up to 3 hours of surgery time. Once the reshaping is done, the skin will be put back in place and the incisions will be sealed and stitched.
Consultation may happen over the course of two to three appointments. You should expect the following during the consultation:
- Discussion about your need, reasons, and goals for rhinoplasty
- Understanding your medical history
- Evaluating your overall health status
- Options available for your nose reshaping
- Examination and measurement of your face, followed by ‘before’ pictures
- Discussion on the surgery options, steps involved, and the future risks, treatment, and potential complications
- Choosing to do a 2D and 3D image evaluation during the consultation for better planning and expectations setting (if needed)
The support team will then guide you on how to prepare for your big day and will instruct you on various matters like:
- Medicines that you may be using, for instance, you may have to discontinue the use of aspirin at least 2 weeks in advance
- Usage of medicated soaps, before the surgery
- Other post-surgery medical supplies you may need
- Usage of multivitamins for a speedier recovery
- Diet restrictions before and after surgery
In case you have any queries, our team of skilled doctors, nurses and coordinators will be with you to support you. After getting these details sorted out, arrive for the surgery in loose comfortable clothes, without any makeup and jewellery.
Post-surgery, a nasal splint will be placed for a week to maintain the new shape. You might experience some redness and swelling which will gradually subside with proper medication and time.
You will be able to see significant changes in your nose just 2 weeks after surgery as soon as the swelling and bruising subsides. However, it will take approximately 12 months for the new shape to become firmly established. During this time, the shapes and contours of your nose will gradually change.
For up to 1 year, you might need to have follow-up visits as scheduled by your surgeon. The results of the surgery are essentially lasting in nature. However, there is a possibility that the natural aging process can cause mild changes in the shape of your nose over the years. You can slow down this process by adopting a healthy lifestyle coupled with adequate protection from the sun.