ACell is a new and improved, minimally invasive, natural hair regrowth procedure for both men and women. It combines PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatment with your own hair stem cells to boost hair growth.
PRP treatment for hair growth involves using the growth factors contained in blood platelets to promote healing and regeneration of hair follicles. PRP uses blood plasma, obtained from your blood, which contains around five times the concentration of platelets found in normal blood.
ACell treatment takes PRP treatment a notch higher. A porcine derivative, the ACell matrix provides regenerative properties similar to stem cells. When the ACell treatment is combined with the PRP concentrate and injected into your scalp, damaged hair follicles heal faster, leading to thicker hair growth.
How Does ACell Hair Regrowth Therapy Work?
The ACell matrix is a natural biological material designed to accelerate your body’s healing process by stimulating your own adult stem cells. Once the stem cells are activated they form new tissues specific to the site of administration. When used for hair regeneration, the ACell matrix activates the stem cells in the hair follicles which in turn repairs damaged tissues, strengthens miniaturised hair follicles, and stimulates growth centres to assist in their regeneration. Since the ACell matrix is available in a powder, it is combined with a PRP concentration which brings its own benefits such as the promotion of localized cell growth by rapid tissue regeneration and strengthening of miniaturized hair follicles.
What are the indications for ACell+PRP treatment?
ACell+PRP can be a beneficial treatment for the following cases:
- Male Pattern Hair Loss
- Female Pattern Hair Loss
- Metabolic causes of hair loss – hair loss induced by specific medication or as a result of iron deficiency
- Hypotrichosis (fine or reduced hair) of the eyebrow or beard
What can you look forward to?
ACell Hair Regrowth Therapy is a simple procedure that can be completed in about 90 minutes to 2 hours. At Kaya, you will be in the hands of skilled and experienced dermatologists, who deliver the best experience with efficacious results. Your dermatologist will first obtain a bit of your blood, which will then be used to process the PRP. The all-natural blood plasma is created by centrifuging it to concentrate the platelets in the plasma and then isolating this platelet-rich plasma from the red blood cells and the white blood cells. He/she will then administer local anaesthesia to your scalp followed by a series of ACell and PRP injections into the predetermined areas of concern. After the initial injections, the next step will involve micro-needling which will further stimulate the scalp to release more growth factors.
Being a non-surgical procedure, it is completely safe. Recovery from this therapy is virtually non-existent as the treatment leaves no visible marks or scars. Some patients might experience mild swelling as a result of the injections. This is completely normal and will subside by itself within a few days. If you feel slight discomfort post-treatment it can be easily managed by taking over-the-counter pain medication.
Some important points to consider before going in for ACell treatment:
- Avoid indulging in vigorous exercises 24 to 48 hours before the treatment.
- It is advised that you should increase your water intake 24 hours before the procedure. You should drink at least 3 to 4 extra glasses of water as compared to what you drink normally. This can be easily managed by drinking an extra glass of water after all your meals.
- Follow a healthy, balanced diet prior to the treatment.
- Please ensure that you come with a clean scalp for the procedure. It is advised that you shampoo your hair the day before/on the day of your procedure.
- If you are taking prescription medicines or herbal supplements that are primarily blood-thinning agents, it is advised that you discontinue them before your treatment.
- Smoking or drinking alcohol should be completely avoided for at least three days before the procedure.
- Your scalp might feel sore or tender immediately after the procedure. This can be reduced with the help of cold compressions.
- To enable efficient distribution of the ACell and PRP mixture, it is advised that you gently massage your scalp at least 3 times for three to four days after your procedure.
- You can resume your daily routine 24 hours after the treatment. However, it is recommended to avoid strenuous exercises.
- You should avoid washing your hair up to 24 hours after the treatment.
- Refrain from using hair styling products or hair dye for at least 3 to 5 days after your procedure.
- Cover your scalp for at least 7 to 10 days after your procedure to avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Refrain from taking supplements and blood-thinning medicines for a week or two after your procedure as this can affect the healing ability.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for 2 weeks post the procedure.
- Are the results for ACell hair treatment permanent?
It takes almost 4-6 months to notice any visible results of hair growth. For the next 12-15 months, your hair will continue to grow and thicken. The results are not permanent but will last for a couple of years. It is advised that you repeat the procedure once a year to maintain your hair growth and volume.
- Is it safe to undergo ACell Hair Treatment?
This therapy has been widely popular as an effective and safe hair regrowth treatment procedure for the last 20 years. More importantly, because the ACell+PRP procedure uses components from your own blood it reduces the risk of an allergic reaction or infections.
- Who is not a candidate for this treatment?
People suffering from conditions like low blood and platelet count, chronic liver ailment, cardiovascular disease, severe anaemia, active systemic infection and cancer will not be considered.
- Can ACell be combined with other Hair Growth therapies?
Yes, it is possible to combine ACell with other Hair Growth therapies for better and longer-lasting results. Your dermatologist will guide what will best work for you.